Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Japanese Drivers License

We both now have a Japanese License!! This is a complicated and normally VERY frustrating process here, especially in the state we live. The first time we went to the place we took a written test (in English- no our Japanese is no where near that good), and took the driving test.

Well- Kevin did alright the first time, he did not pass, but at least he did not get the yelling at that I got. Apparently I drove so poorly the man said I needed to take Drivers classes- what the high school kids do- tons of hours in the classroom and on the road and costing thousands of dollars- no way was I going to do this-I might not be the best driver, but I am certainly not that bad. He then proceeded to take a matchbox car and ram it into this little wooden figure speaking very quickly (and to me seemed quite angry) over and over and over again. Like I didn't get it the first time he did it. I was convinced he thought I was going to wind up hitting some poor little child. We left there feeling rather disappointed-and me quite upset.

We then went and signed up for driving practice. Basically you have an instructor drive you around the course and show you how to do it, and then let you practice it. This helped tons and I felt much more confident afterward.

So today was our second try at the test- I was certain I had failed again b/c I was so nervous, but we both passed and got our licenses today.

Let me explain the "dance" a little bit. It is rather like acting.

When you first approach the car you have to- get this: check under the back and front of the car for small children and animals. My feeling- what child would be under a car?, and if a animal is under there they will move out rather quickly once the engine is started.

Once you get into the car you must adjust your seat, then push the gas and break pedals, then touch the rear view mirror and adjust it, check both side mirrors (helps if you point to them to show you are checking them), put your seatbelt on, turn the car on, check all mirrors then put the car into drive and release the emergency brake and lastly check all mirrors again and look over both shoulders in this order.

If this weren't enough- you have to memorize the course- they do not tell you where to turn. You get to look at the course beforehand and have to remember where to go. Plus there are other fun rules like when you go to make a turn you have to look in the mirrors and put the turn signal on, then count to 3, look over your shoulder and move toward that side of the lane, then re-look over your shoulder right before making the turn. I had trouble with this one because with small lanes there really aren't "sides" to move closer to.

It is rather a lot to remember- we are just SO glad to be over with it and that we will never have to do that again. Wish I had video- when I went to pull out my camera to tape Kevin checking under the car etc I realized I had left it at home. I will just let you all who know Kevin well enough to imagine him exaggerating all of his movements in his preparation to get into the car. It was rather entertaining to watch!!

1 comment:

Furrier said...

At least you didn't have to start by washing the car!