Monday, March 16, 2009

Overheard in our bedroom

Our shoji doors rattling...
Let me begin by explaining that our windows have 3 layers to them. There are outer metal shutters that we pull shut and they cover the entire window. Then the windows themselves- single pane, not insulated a bit. Lastly we have paper doors on the inside that are called shoji.


Needless to say with 3 layers shut and locked I am quite caught off guard when I lay in bed night after night and the shoji rattles due to the wind outside. Part of me has grown accustomed to it, but every now and then I am startled to hear the noise. Next winter we will be looking into more weatherproofing for sure. We are glad spring is just around the corner so that no more freezing cold drafts rattle their way into our room.

3 comments:

-J said...

Yes! Definitely something to add to my list of sounds of Japan, when I make my 5 senses list of things I won't see/ smell/ taste/ hear/ or feel in America.

Anonymous said...

Do little hands go through the paper windows often?
Bridget

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Amazing how different things are for you all. Unless it was a consistent sound like white noise of a fan, I'd have a hard time adjusting :)