"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
If you've been keeping up with our prayer requests in our updates, you know that we've been struggling with Titus's Sensory Integration Disorder, which is a mild form of Autism. Praise God that a recent doctor's appointment went well with Titus and we could see God's clear leading in where we should go from here. We prayed for clarity and it was given- with no room for questions. In order to care for our son we will be leaving the field. I have no doubt that many of your are shocked with this announcement and will have many questions. Please feel free to ask away. As we've been studying up on Autism spectrum disorders we keep seeing the need for stability, consistency & regular routine. We're also seeing how the enormous amount of energy that is required to do this while living cross culturally is completely wiping us out. We've learned that these kids can not handle dual languages- it causes too much stress for them to cope. We're realizing that in a normal situation- living here is stressful. While living in your home culture with an Autism spectrum kid is stressful. The combination of the 2 has been completely overwhelming and detrimental to our family over the past numerous months. We have asked before "where is the line", "how do you know" when you should stay and keep looking for solutions and when to realize it is time to leave for the sake of the child and the family. Our meeting with a Specialist about two weeks ago answered this question very clearly. A wise old Japanese doctor stared us right in the face and told us that we need to go back to America, with such a tone that questioned us why we had not done so before and were sitting in his office.
As you might expect, both Rebecca and I are heart broken over this new development. Our hearts beat for the Japanese people, yet we know that God is good and our first ministry is to our family and taking care of these precious children He has given us. We are in the process of handing over responsibilities and packing and will return to Maryland sometime in November. Please be praying for us in the next couple of weeks as we say good-bye to those in Japan, and seek where God would have us next.
For now we have been approved for a 3 month HMA where we will report to churches and supporters and seek what we should do next. Please be praying as MTW and different people on the field are seeking how we can work with Japan and the ministry here while living in the states.
1. Thank God for VERY clear guidance
2. Pray as we head back to America and seek God's will for our family and what that will look like
3. Pray as we go to a 2 week counseling/ retreat center to process all we have been through in the past several years and have time to be still and quiet and seek what God will have us do next. Pray that He would mend our broken hearts and give us peace as we face the unknown
4. Pray for swiftness in getting in with good doctors and for wisdom on their part in helping Titus
We thank you all as you have walked this road with us thus far, and covet your prayers and support as we are still on this road- seeking where the Lord would have us go from here and how He would continue to use us for the sake of the Gospel in Japan and the lives of the Japanese people.








6 comments:
I feel like I got involved in your lives too late to really understand everything as I happened by your blog on a search for missionaries in Japan. Even still, I have felt an understanding since the day I started reading due to my son also having sensory issues, though perhaps not on the scale of your Titus.
I hope no one will question your loyalty to your child during your transition, or your loyalty to Christ. In fact, I will pray for that as well. I also hope God will mend your family while you are recovering at the retreat.
Aside from a recent Navy deployment a few months ago, I haven't been in Japan in over 9 years. The ache in my heart for that country is still strong, and I expect it will be for you as well. Please don't hide those feelings like I did. I'm so happy that you desire to stay connected even here in the States. God will do good things with and for you.
As much as my heart hurts for your family b/c of the massive change in direction (and even though it's a totally different situation, I can relate to that) I will be happy to have you home!! I pray your packing, move, goodbye's, and emotions go smoothly! I love you all!
Kevin and Rebecca,
While this is disheartening news, it is also exciting to know that you are doing exactly what God would have you do. Change is never easy, as you have learned. We continue to pray for you during this time. Steve and I will be in Annapolis in February, and we hope to be able to see you and Barb while there.
Blessings,
Lisa Joiner
Dingles,
Our prayers are certainly with you and especially with Titus.
Find a good OT. If you come back to MD, talk to Shannon and ask her to put you in touch with her friend Winona.
I truly feel that your missionary time in Japan is not over, just put on hold for a while.
While structure and consistency has greatly helped Peter, he is now beginning to adapt to change. I hope Titus has a similar journey. That you (and he) will learn coping skills and how to best address the stresses in your lives.
Cherish this time. There is much to be learned from these trials. Think of the understanding, compassion and true love that you can develop along this journey.
Again, our prayers are with you!
HUGS,
--Susie
We are so saddened you will not be there when we arrive, as you had been one of our greatest encouragements while we raised support. We know this is not the end, but a new beginning with new opportunities. We mourn with you but also rejoice that you are serving our King. Love you guys.
Matt and Carly
Kevin and Rebecca,
About the time you posted this I was tied up with a very sick and hospitalized child and our life has been a little turned upside down. I am still trying to catch up on everything. SO I am just reading your news allthough have been praying for you despite not knowing what was going on. We have a map on our kitchen wall and your names are on it by Japan along with other missionaries that we love and pray for.
We will continue to pray for this massive transition time in your lives and for all the details if your hearts and minds. Jesus knows it all and I believe that he will guide you clearly just as he already has. I pray you will find healign in the coming months as you rest in him adn his loving mercies. I pray that your will find fulfilment in the new call he places on you in the states. These are the hardest decions we make in our faith and parenting. When Scotty was sick and in the hospital I was die to leave for overseas for a mission. It was gut wrenching to make the decision but God spoke very clear to me about what I was to do. When we follow his voice he is so faithful and his provision is abundant.
We love you guys and stand with you in prayer and great faith for your families future!
Post a Comment