Friday, September 16, 2011

Crying in the Principal's Office

Ok, so I wasn't in the principal's office- but you know the feeling (or, most of you probably don't)- of a parent being greeted when coming to collect her child with the news that the principal is looking for you and wants to talk to you before you leave.

Your palms start to sweet, your mind races, "oh no, what could he have done that would be SO big that she must see me right away?". You want to hide because you know you are "that child's parent".

So, we were actually on the sidewalk where the walkers and car riders are dismissed after school. Luckily, most children had been collected and not many people lingered to see my emotional breakdown in front of THE PRINCIPAL.

He had had a bad day. Done some very typical for Titus behaviors that would definitely be frowned upon in public. He was on red- which is NOT a good thing. Basically it means that he had been given all the warnings he was going to get. Had had a trip (not the first time this year) to the principal's office.

What met me came very unexpected. I was met with enthusiasm. Told that she had had a great conversation with Titus and that she is very excited and it has been the best part of her week. I wanted to say "are you sure we're talking about the same kid- the one that is on red and was excused from class?". Ok, really I wanted to say something more along the lines of "are you high or something?" But neither seemed particularly polite, so I just kept my mouth shut and listened.

I have to say this lady is AMAZING. The school he goes to is AMAZING. When I thought I was going to be getting an earful of how bad Titus was today etc, instead I got concern for my boy. Ideas to implement. Ways to change his experience so that he can not only succeed, but build friendships as well. Are you kidding me?!!! Not only does this lady want him to do well academically, but she is seeking ways for my boy to more naturally form some friendships in school.

And that is where I lost it, crying in front of the principal. We have heard so many stories of people having to fight for their kids and be met with such resistance. We have been SO blessed to have the opposite experience. We have been met with ideas and proactivity. Wanting to try different things to help and assist him.

So while it was a bad day, I have to say it was also a good day. A day where we feel good about where we are at. Where he is at. Like we have people on our side trying to figure out what is going on with him and wanting to love and help him, and that is a VERY good feeling.

4 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Tearing up myself for you. I know what a LONG road this has been (and will continue to be) Thankful for the support God puts in your life just when you need it. Praise God for amazing educators who are there to help and make a difference. Thanking Him alongside you today in prayer and praise!

Jungle News said...

The Lord provides! :)

Jason said...

I am trying to get into contact with missionaries in Japan. I am working on my master's degree and for a project I am writing a paper on the need of missionaries in Japan and the current work there. Please email me at jmorford@liberty.edu as I would love to talk with you if you have the time. Thanks

Colette said...

Made me cry too. Our Lord does provide. You sure are getting a lesson in "no fear of man'. Having to detach from what others think.