Wednesday, September 26, 2007

48 Hours & 11 weeks??

I am home from the hospital now after spending just about exactly 48 hours in a local Japanese hospital. I am now trying to rest and keep fluids and food in. I definitely feel better, but still feel pretty bad- just very nauseas and always feeling like I am about to lose it. Please pray that I would be able to get over this and semi back to normal so that I can take of my family once again.

The time in the hospital was interesting... I was very impressed that they wanted to keep me though, most times in Japan it is the suck it up mentality and for them to say I should stay for fluids was God's protection. We went to the local hospital first and they would not see me because I am pregnant (apparently a while back a pregnant lady died and the OB lost his practice and the hospital did away with all obstetrics because of it), so they called the hospital about 1/2 hour away and said that an internist could see me. It turned out that the doctor that saw me was doing his time in obstetrics so he took me up to have a look at the baby since I had not been to a doctor yet. He said that the baby was too advanced for me to be only 7 weeks- he thinks I am a month more along. I have my first official appointment Oct 4th so we will see then when they think I am due.

At the hospital we went to there is an English speaking OB that was supposed to be there only on Thurs of this week, that I was going to have to go early and wait to see him- his schedule is too full and he did not have any appts. until Oct, but you can go and wait to get in. He came in every day I was there and was the one in charge of me, and he said I did not need to come to the hospital to wait to get into his schedule- he made me an appt. to follow up with me and I am in. To give some background info on this- most women go to the doctor as soon as they find out they are pregnant because it has become the practice for each hospital to only accept a certain number of deliveries each month- once they are full they do not take anyone else. While we are not planning on delivering here I still needed a "spot" here in case something happens and I go super early or something- the doctor said not a big deal, now that I am seeing him I have a spot, this is particularly good since it seems I am much farther along than we thought.

We got our first picture of the baby- they do an ultrasound practically every time you go to the doctor. Meg kept asking to see it because she wanted to know if the baby was a girl or boy. Kevin tried to explain that the baby is too small, we can't tell yet. Meg's response was "it's ok daddy, you just look real hard at the ...head... to see how the baby's hair is done. If it is done like this (she mimics a pony tale sticking straight up) then we know it's a girl" Oh the logic and reason of a 5 year old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I'm glad you are home. My friends and I are all praying for you. I like Meg's logic about the sex of the baby. It's as good as some of the other stuff out there.

Torrie said...

I'm hoping that baby is more like 10 weeks along, that way you can use the name we came up with on vacation :)

Dane and Jo said...

Everyone at River's Edge is praying for you guys!!!