Recently I have been VERY worried about our kids and their education- are they going to be okay when they grow up? Will they be less intelligent than all the others? Am I doing them a huge disservice by not being on what I consider "the insane bandwagon" of over educating our children. I am on the far spectrum of early childhood education and feel that kids should be kids before kindergarten and should not have an education focus but an exploration focus instead. I am (at least in my circles) a rarity. They should learn sounds and basic reading skills in Kindergarten and not before. Once they get to school- that is it- there is no going back to the carefree days of just looking under rocks and seeing what is there, exploring this wonderful world around us. Now do not get me wrong- I am all for being prepared for 1st grade and we worked really hard at getting Meg ready for it. After a frantic phone call to my teacher brother in law drilling him on what the standards of the day are and will my kids be okay- he says I have nothing to worry about in light of this feud below. They will grow up to be just fine.
So enough of my views- onto the feud.
Meg is studying Astronomy for science this year and she and Titus were having a conversation about Pluto. She was saying that Pluto was a planet, and Titus was insistent that it was not a planet but just a space rock. They were really getting into it on whether it is or is not a planet. You see Meg's teacher said it is one of the 9 planets, Titus's said it is not one of the planets. The funny thing here- their teachers are married to each other. So it seems this Pluto feuding must be going on in at least one other household...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








6 comments:
Rebecca, This is so funny. I can just see those two strong willed opinionated kids going at over Pluto. I'm surprised that Titus didn't tell Meg that Pluto is a dog. Don't worry about this one. Use it to encourage good conversation about the subject and encourage the kids to look things up (with your help) and find out the answer. It's an oportunity, not a disaster.
ahem, Titus is right.
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/pluto.html (scroll to the bottom)
Titus know his stuff!
Charlie and Joseph have had that debate on more then one occasion. I think Charlie went to the website that Torrie recommended and showed Joseph the proof.
I'm with you-let kids be kids. But at the same time it's not always easy to take that approach.
I try to keep in mind that our children will learn to read ONLY when they are ready to and it doesn't matter what type of schooling they get when they are 4.
Bridget
is that R & L S's home divided against itself? this is too funny!!
-Becky H
There's a great book put together by a third grade class from California called "Poor Pluto" about this very subject!
Now for my two cents... Pluto is a dwarf planet. So, I guess Meg and Titus are both right.
We feel compelled to to weigh in on this... our household agrees on the fact that Pluto is not a planet. The lesson Meg heard was a discussion on how things have changed since we all went to school and learned about the "9" planets. So glad to hear that Titus is paying attention!! We are so happy to provide good family discussions for the Dingles.
Post a Comment