Sunday, April 26, 2009

A fixed car window=$1.50

Today we had a car window that would not roll up- we tried fiddling with it and doing different things in vain.  I finally told Kevin to just take it to the local fix it place- after he tried looking at the Owner's manuel (all in Japanese).
 
When he went he explained through some Japanese, and big hand gestures about the window.  The guy came out and fiddled with it for a minute and up went the window.  I'm sure that man will have a wonderful time telling his family tonight about the foreigner who couldn't get his window up- oh well.  The guy did not charge him anything, but apparently the boys (Titus had gone along to help with the man job) needed something to drink after working so hard.  

So 2 drinks =$1.50.  What a cheap fix!

2 comments:

Willardsdaughter said...

There's a thing about not charging if they haven't actually used a part to fix something- maybe a tool, too, since I was once charged 5000 yen for getting the car door unlocked (keys were inside) - and all he did was stick some funny tool down . . . I was on my way to get rid of the car, and thought about breaking the window . . . but . . . in the end I didn't go with that plan.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

AWESOME! Most mechanics woudl charge an arm and leg just for looking.