Today we still all are not feeling well, last night I made the comment to Kevin that it was too bad that they don't sell applesauce here (well- they do "physically" sell it- but for a tiny little jar it is about $5- so they might as well not sell it!) and he mentioned that he had a friend in college who made her own applesauce in the crockpot. This is the same friend that made her own bread and we have received some of her homemade jam- so I knew it had to be easy and GOOD. Thank you Amie! I found a recipe online and set to washing, peeling, and chopping the apples- it took me about 20 mins to do this admist correcting my children and constantly going into the other room to separate and "settle" fights. I used 3 normal size apples and 4 enormous ones and it filled the pot about 3/4 full which produced about 40 oz of applesauce- which for about $3.50 is not bad!
Note: I used the 1/2 cup of sugar and still felt it was rather sweet. Next time I will try to decrease it some. The cinnamon flavor is rather strong as well at 1 tsp.
| CROCK POT APPLESAUCE |
|
10 lg. cooking apples, peeled, cored & sliced or cut in chunks 1/2 c. water 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 to 1 c. sugar Put all ingredients into crockpot. Should be about 3/4 full. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (high 3 to 4 hours). |

3 comments:
Rebecca, do you remember that I used to make applesauce on top of the stove when you were growing up? The crockpot method is probably easier but takes longer. I didn't put any sugar or cinnamon in our applesauce. That way you can add what you want when you serve it. It's good with nutmeg as well. At least I think so. Mom
cool, I'm going to try this sometime. I have a crock pot that I never use.
In a later Blog, Mary says that Titus is Kevin....to this blog I say....You are MOM!!! I remember her making applesauce and I'm sure there were many fights that you started that she had to settle!
David
Post a Comment