To give you all a little glimpse into the insane world Kevin has to live with, I thought I would share some things that are hard to believe but true (about hyperemesis in general, and my pregnancy). I am not alone in these weird sensitivities, they are actually documented and "normal" for hyperemesis patients.
My sister's fiance Ben refuses to believe that I can be this sensitive to smells, sights and sounds. He is a science man, which makes me think he should know better, but he claims it is just not possible that I be this sensitive.
#1 I can tell where Kevin has gotten my slurpee from. You see, in some 7 Elevens the coffee pot set up is very close to the slurpee machine, while in others it is half way across the store. I can smell the coffee smell off of the slurpee lid if he has done the unmentionable and gone to one of the forbidden 7 Elevens where the coffee is, in my opinion, too close and thus taints my precious slurpee. I have in fact refused slurpees from these locations because the smell bothered me too much.
Talk about insane, RIGHT??!!
#2 Sounds really bother me, a lot! The other night it was raining and right outside our window there was this one particular drip, drip, drip. It was driving me insane, and making me feel nauseas. Kevin had to move Titus out of his bed so I could move in there and sleep, but it was already too late- I felt so sick from having laid and incurred the drip noise for quite some time. You see, Kevin is up a lot in the middle of the night- but it is not always the kids fault, sometimes it is mine.
#3 Most smells in general bother me, even the good ones. If a "bad" smell is created from making dinner for example, spraying air freshener is not a relief to me. In fact, at first it is so strong from just one little spray I have to leave the room and wait for it to be diffused so it does not bother me. Then it is a 50/50 chance of whether it has solved the problem or just created a new one b/c now I can't stand the air freshener smell.
Another example is I don't know the last time my poor husband wore deodorant. The smell bothers me SO much. It gives me a pounding headache, and I mean pounding so bad I get REALLY mean, more so than normal, and can't think straight. He has been banned from wearing any sort of deodorant, after shave etc because it bothers me so much. Yes, I can even smell it from across the room.
#4 Sights bother me as well. Something as simple as a wrapper that missed the trash can really make me feel bad. Not just annoying- it physically makes me sick.
These are just some examples I could think of how I am super sensitive about a lot of weird things and Kevin has had to adapt. Hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into our lives, and say some extra prayers for Kevin as he has to deal with these things that i have no control over and affects our everyday lives. He really is a trooper isn't he?!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
This probably wasn't written to make me laugh, so I won't tell you that I am.
Oh girl. Please tell Kevin to stay away...HAHAHAHA
I am so sorry, but can so relate. I think all naseous women get some of this in that "stage". Luckily, ours ends at some point.
My mom couldn't stand wheat bread and would hold her breath to make my dad's lunch, run out of the room, take a breath, and run back in. (Why on earth did he make his own lunch...???)
I am sorry it is so hard. I think the normal OCD just kicks in gear, huh? ;)
I didn't know Kevin hasn't been wearing deodorant. Interesting...
Wow. God must really be growing you guys. Take joy in trials of many kinds.
Rebecca,
I am so sorry to hear about your hypersensitivities and I pray that they will go away after the baby comes and your hormones can get back to "normal."
But I have to admit, there's a part of me that is saying "welcome to my world." Autistic individuals often have similar hypersensitivities that they must deal with daily with no relief. We are currently struggling with Peter waking up in the middle of the night because the cars are "too loud" - he can hear all the traffic on the beltway even with the windows closed!!
I'm grateful Shannon told me about your blog. It's good to read about former neighbors!
HUGS all around, and may you feel "normal" again soon!!
--Susie Rosenquist
Post a Comment