Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Indeed!

Today I received a very wonderful Thanksgiving day gift. Some of you (who have been following us for awhile) might remember last year when we got here and received our container the day before Thanksgiving that my most prized possession (the whole reason we had to bring a container) arrived ruined. I was devastated that my grandmothers display case did not make it across the ocean in one piece. It has great sentimental value to me and it made my house a home. I can remember it in their living room for as long as I can remember, and shortly after Kevin and I were married it moved to our house.

It has sat in a corner- covered by a blanket this whole last year, until last week. Our friends the Hatfields had mentioned that they knew a local guy who dealt in fixing furniture. We found out when Kevin dropped it off that he buys and refinishes antiques for a living. This made me feel much better.

Last week when Kevin and Paul took it over I let it leave the house somewhat hesitantly- not wanting to any worse off than it already was, and not knowing how much this guy really knew. Today Kevin picked it up and I have to tell you- this man is AMAZING!!! You can barely tell 3 of the 4 legs were snapped, and the top front was bashed in. He not only fixed the major broken pieces, but he looked over the whole piece and cleaned it up for me. It looks better than it ever has.

I have to say- I love this man! Kevin was so pleased and knew I would be SO happy he offered the guy more money than the original price he was quoted. The man refused, saying it was an easy job- and I think he enjoyed doing it. He said you don't see pieces like this often. Kevin said when they dropped it off the wife was oohing and aahing over it. Wish I could post a picture- but our camera is broken- so you will have to wait till it is in our house in Chiba. We will definitely be using this guy in the future if we ever have a need.

No comments: