Sunday, August 03, 2008

Japanese Dryer


This is the way most Japanese dry their wash. They hang it up and set it outside to dry, or inside during rainy or humid weather.

This is how we have been drying our clothes for most of the past month. In America we assume we will use a gas or electric dryer to dry all of our clothes- you would not even think of any other way. Here most people do it no other way than this.

Now I am a spoiled American, so my Japanese gas dryer arrives today. I am So excited about this because in my opinion certain things just need to be tumble dried- like my towels. I love the softness. When you hang dry them they are a little stiff and crunchy- I do NOT like this. It will not be nearly as big as an American one and I will not use it for everything but I am SO looking forward to having soft towels and sheets back!

I have been thankful though for this past month of doing wash the "Japanese way" as it gives me a real life glimpse into the lives of Japanese moms and what they have to do to provide for their families. It's a lot more time consuming and not as easy to get the kids involved as when you use a "dryer".

I will be doing a whole series on Japanese appliances so be on the look out for the one about this beloved dryer.

No comments: