Sunday, January 28, 2007

Soft Pretzels

Last weekend we attempted to make soft pretzels with the kids. I got the recipe out of the betty crocker cookbook. Besides flour issues (which for some reason I have in this country), I think they turned out ok- the adults thought they tasted decently, the kids rejected them (wonder what that says!). I will give it another try in another week or so with a different type of flour and hope they are acceptable to the children. It was rather fun to do with the kids. I did all the prep work and then let them help shape them and put them in the oven. There were numerous steps but once you do it once and know what you are doing it is not bad at all- next time will go much quicker. Here is a picture of the result.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, it is possible that they process their flour differently and that that affects the gluten content. that would affect how stuff turns out. see what type others are using that seems to work.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I was going to comment on the gluten thing too. What exactly is the problem with the flour? Mixes weird? Doesn't rise? Over rises? Also I want to tell you, I have a much easier pretzel recipe which I also think tastes better. So here it is:
2 packages yeast (4 teaspoons)
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold water
coarse salt
In large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and salt; stir to form soft dough. Turn onto floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Cover and let rise in a warm place 15 minutes. Punch dough down and divide into 20 equal pieces. On floured surface roll each piece into a 15 inch trip; twist into pretzel shape. Combine baking soda and cold water; brush over prezels. Sprinkle with course salt. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 20 pretzels from Taste of Home Annual Recipes, 1999
I am quite sure that I have successfully made half this recipe by dividing all quantities in half. The baking soda and water wash before baking gives it the crispy/chewy texture that pretzels should have and a good flavor too. Hope you find this helpful.